Brougham Gardens / Tantutitingga
The Kaurna translation of tantutitingga is native lilac place. Native lilac (Hardenbergia) is a native flower with a wide distribution. Lord Brougham (1778-1868) was Lord High Chancellor of the United Kingdom and founder of the London University.
Originally referred to as Brougham Place on the 1837 Colonel Light Plan, this integral component of the original City Plan is now known as Brougham Gardens / Tantutitingga.
In 1853 a petition was presented to the Legislative council for a road to be placed through Brougham Gardens to connect King William Road with O’Connell St which was emerging as a commercial precinct.
In 1972 Aboriginal people established a tent embassy in Brougham Gardens in support of the embassy on the grounds of Parliament House in Canberra.
In 1986 a floral clock was erected at the head of King William Street with the Gardens through a
donation by Andrew Penfold Simpson to honour the state’s 150th anniversary celebrations.
Today, Brougham Gardens / Tantutitingga has much of the underpinnings of a Victorian style public garden reinforced by the axial pathway configuration that is framed externally by numerous two-storey Victorian era houses.